DucKon 2011 Opening Ceremonies Guests of Honor
Yesterday morning I arrived at the DucKon Science Fiction Convention in Schaumburg to set up for the art show. Because of everything else that is going on just now, I did not decide until the last minute to participate in the convention’s art show. I had committed months ago to participating in the con’s programming but held off on deciding about the art show.
I did not bring very many pieces to hang in the art show. The pieces that I did bring for the show are:
- Astronaut Glory II space art original giclee print
- Lift Off space art original giclee print
- Quantum Moon astronomical art original giclee canvas
- Titan Landscape astronomical art original giclee print
- Glacial Mars astronomical art print (not shown on my web site)
Looking over the list I’m pleased to say that 4 out of the 5 are actually on my web site. Typically fewer than half are.
This morning (Saturday) I’ll be heading back to the convention. This will be my busy day as my presentation and all my panels are scheduled for today. My line up is:
For my part, I do hope to actually talk a little about the Hubble Space Telescope, which presents us with two very different categories of impacts. The first is the impact Hubble observations have had on our understanding of the universe. These impacts include a much more accurate measure of the Hubble Constant – which tells us about the age of the universe; the presence of super-massive black holes at the centers of galaxies; and the strange matter of dark energy and the accelerated expansion of the universe. The second area is the area of astronomical art aesthetics and the impact that Hubble’s observations have had on how astronomical art is portrayed.
So today promises to be a busy day at DucKon. FYI, DucKon’s Guests of Honor this year are:
- Literary:Tamora PierceWebsite
- Artist:Ursula VernonWebsite
- Filk:Gary HanakWebsite
- Filk Fund Guests:Nate and Louie Bucklin
- Fan:William and Trudi Puda
- Writer:Shirley DamsgaardWebsite
- Science:”The Last Shuttle Team”Website
If you’re attending the con, don’t forget to check out the art show.