The Gift of Art for Christmas
Art Institute of Chicago, circa 1910
Christmas is almost upon us and that means gift giving. If you're like me you probably have not done your Christmas shopping yet. Now I live near Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg but I try to stay away as the mall is overrun by hordes of shoppers from Thanksgiving to Christmas. In fact they even bus people in from out of state.
Shopping online is a great alternative to the challenge of brick and mortar shopping. I'm guessing that when most people think of shopping online they think of Amazon.com but there are some great alternatives out there. The alternatives I'm thinking of are some of our nation's leading art museums. Many art museums have their own online stores where shoppers can purchase some rather unique gifts. So arranged alphabetically, here is a list of 13 art museums that have an online store. I've included the museum's city location for those museums that don't include that in their name.
13 Art Museums with Online Stores
- The Art Institute of Chicago Online Store
- Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco Online Store
- Getty Museum Online Store (Los Angeles CA)
- Guggenheim Museum Online Store (New York NY)
- LACMA: The Los Angeles County Museum of Art Store
- Metropolitan Museum of Art Online Store (New York NY)
- Milwaukee Art Museum Online Store
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston Online Store
- MOMA – Museum of Modern Art Online Store (New York NY)
- National Gallery of Art Online Store (Washington DC)
- PAFA – Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (Philadelphia PA)
- Philadelphia Museum of Art. All rights reserved
- Whitney Museum of American Art Online Store(New York NY)
So consider giving the gift of art this Christmas. And don't forget to get yourself a present while you're at it.
Merry Christmas, Jim